A dog has died after suffering a heart attack while trying to escape from the bangs of fireworks.
Winston had been kept inside until after midnight when he was let outside to go to the toilet with other dogs.
However, someone set off fireworks and Winston – who was scared of loud noises as a result of abuse he suffered previously – bolted under the Dogs 4 Rescue centre near Barton Moss, Greater Manchester.
Staff are now calling for people not to set fireworks off near their shelter.
Owner Emma Billington said: ‘He absolutely hated loud bangs. We are out in the sticks a little bit. I don’t know where these were coming from.
‘They were outside and the bangs started going off, all of the dogs that were scared started running back in. We noticed he was missing.
‘He had a heart attack and fell asleep under the decking.’
She added: ‘We have to tell people how bad this is for the dogs. There is no need, in this day and age.
‘This has just killed him. All his life he has suffered at the hands of people. He was the most loyal dog.’
Winston, a Moscow watchdog, had been rescued from Bulgaria where he suffered years of abuse.
Earlier this year, he was diagnosed with a heart condition and required medication.
Dogs 4 Rescue is home to 50 dogs rescued from around the world and they live kennel-free during their time at the centre.
The RSPCA believes that 45 per cent of dogs show signs of fear when they hear fireworks.
There are ways to look after your dog when they need calming down including walking them, muffling the sound by putting on music and giving them a good meal.