David Beckham superfan who spent £20k to look like idol lucky to be alive

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-beckham-20k-superfan-lucky-13576424

A David Beckham superfan who spent £20,000 to look like his idol has been seriously injured after a blaze destroyed his one-bedroom flat.

Jack Johnson, of Kimberley, Nottinghamshire, was taken to hospital after a chip pan fire started in his kitchen.

His family say they “nearly lost him” and the accident could have “very serious consequences” for his future health.

The 21-year-old’s belongings were destroyed in the fire and now faces homelessness, NottinghamshireLive reported.

Brother Aaron, 28, a salesman, said it could have been a lot worse had neighbours failed to notice the smoke

“We have nearly lost him. If no-one had rung for help he would not be here now. It’s devastating to think about it,” he said.



A fire started by a chip pan started in his home

“It’s awful to have a phone call at 6am to be told to go to the hospital and find him in that position. It’s shocking – everyone’s worst nightmare for a family to go through.

“I would never wish it on anyone. It’s going to affect him for the rest of his life. It’s a terrible, terrible accident that could have had very serious consequences.”

Jack, a former Ellis Guilford pupil, is being treated at the critical care unit at Nottingham City Hospital for smoke inhalation after the fire started in the early hours of Thursday morning (November 8).



The 21-year-old spent 21k to be like his idol

He was transferred from the nearby Queen’s Medical Centre that day.

Aaron added: “He has lost everything. Everything is burnt and damaged and he’s in a right mess. He’s still in hospital, they are moving him on to the respiratory ward.

“He had a beautiful private-rented flat with furtniture. It was like a showhome. Everyone who went through the flat said it was beautiful.

“He has got nowhere to go now; he’s got to get help and they have to sort accommodation. He can’t go back to the property – he’s heartbroken.”



Family say the fire could have serious consequences

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

It is unclear if Jack has contents insurance and his family said the fire had caused thousands of pounds worth of damage.

He paid his rent through benefit support payments and lived in the flat for around two years.

Aaron, a dad-of-three, said his brother had been to a friend’s house in Basford earlier that night for a drink before getting a taxi home.

He went to bed but awoke around 4am feeling hungry.

So he decided to cook some home-made chips to eat with left-over spaghetti bolognese.



Jack following his appearance on This Morning

After pouring oil into a pan, he went into his living room to let the pan “warm-up” – and fell asleep.

Aaron said his brother had been prescribed new medication earlier that week which “knocked him out”.

He woke up to the fire and shouted for help and thought he was going to die.

Aaron said the family would look for help from the local council and other agencies to find Jack accommodation once he is discharged from hospital.

A Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said two appliances from Stockhill and another from Ilkeston were called to reports of a flat fire at around 3.40am on Thursday.

He said: “We had got one person who had evacuated before arrival of the fire service and the ambulance service treated one person who suffered smoke inhalation.

“It was an upstairs flat. We used one hose reel and two breathing apparatus to extinguish. The casualty was taken to hospital.”

It was previously reported that Jack spent thousands to look like the former England, Manchester United and Real Madrid midfielder David Beckham.

Jack has since decided he wants to look like Beckham’s son, Brooklyn. He has appeared in numerous media articles and on television talking about his aspirations.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online